Mary and i were living our everyday, ordinary lives. We were doing ministry, loving life and building a family. Then one day we were invited to meet Pastors Joel & Victoria Osteen. Who ever knew that one small breakfast meeting would create open doors for our lives to impact thousands and thousands of people. God has placed so many amazing people in our lives. Wow.
It is almost like we were placed under an “umbrella of favor.” I believe if you want to be blessed – get around blessed people. If you want to be successful in business – rub shoulders with successful people. But if you want to live in God’s favor surround yourself with people who living in God’s favor. Never in our wildest dreams did we ever think God would take us where He has and create the opportunities for us.
Psalm 5:12 declares, “Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.” We are under the umbrella of God’s favor. It surrounds us. Largely, because we are surrounded by pastors, leaders and friends who are living under God’s favor. God has blessed our lives. More than we deserve.
Last night, was another milestone as I was asked to be a guest on TBN’s National Praise The Lord Broadcast – reaching 40 million viewers. Wow. I woke up this morning almost in tears because I know it’s His favor – not mine. It would be amazing if it was the first time – but last night was the second time. Repeat favor. That’s what it means to be under the umbrella of God’s favor. Repeat favor.
How do you get under the umbrella of God’s favor?
- Stay close to God. Psalm 125:4: “O LORD, do good to those who are good, whose hearts are in tune with you.” In order to get God’s favor you have to be in tune with God. You have to stay close to Him.
- Get around the right people. The right people will elevate you. If you are around doubters, discourages or destroyers find a new circle of influence.
- Stay focused. Don’t allow distractions to come around you. The enemy will use many things … in fact, he will use anything. He does not care what it is – if it will distract you he will try it. Focus on God, His plan and His purpose for your life.
- Remove the doubt. Don’t walk around saying, “It will never,” “That’s not for me.” No, declare today, “God wants to bless me. He wants to pour out his favor on my life.” God will. Simply believe.
- Have courage to step out. Then just try things. Don’t get stuck by good intentions – but by solid, godly actions. I would rather try something for God than to sit around hoping something knocks at my door. I am going to trust God and walk through every open door.
Moses prayed, “… let me know your ways so I may understand you more fully and continue to enjoy your favor” (Exodus 33:13). That’s my prayer this morning – I just want to continue to enjoy God’s favor.