Anyone who knows me know that I love the game of basketball. I always have. I enjoy watching – it does not matter whether it is NCAA, NBA or WNBA. Hey, I will even watch the Olympics just for basketball. It is a great game filled with fun, speed, excitement and passion.
This may have been the most interesting playoffs in the NBA that I have ever seen. More blowouts and less close games. The finals were no different except for Game 7. The Cleveland Cavaliers vs. The Golden State Warriors – arguably two of the greatest teams in the last decade with two of the greatest players. It was a GREAT game to watch. The best of the 2016 post-season.
So as I watched all 7 games (even on vacation) I started thinking of some life lessons – here’s just a few thoughts I scratched down:
- Winning is never guaranteed. You have to work hard. Winning is not just handed to you. You can’t expect to win – you have to prepare to win.
- Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. We need both in the game of life. The thrill of winning and the agony of defeat. They are great teachers.
- Losing is painful – in fact, very painful. I have been on losing teams. It hurts, but it always has a lesson.
- Attitude is everything. You can’t “lose it” repeatedly. There are consequences. Just ask Draymond Green. Your attitude determines your altitude – it will take you higher or bring you lower.
- People on social media say stupid things. I can’t believe how people attack, slander and curse out people who don’t perform or who are not your “player/team.”
- Competition reveals character. Your character is often seen in the difficult times. Competition will always show who/what you really are.
- There is always next season. Some times we will lose, even in life, and we have to always keep our focus on the NEXT. We can’t change what happened, but we can work very hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- Some things just don’t matter. At the end of the day basketball is a game, for the players its their livelihood, but for the fans its a game. I am not going to lose sleep over the fact that GSW lost. In the scheme of things its just doesn’t matter that much.
Here’s two quotes from two amazing players:
“You can’t be afraid to fail. It’s the only way you succeed. You’re not gonna succeed all the time and I know that.” (Lebron James - 3x MVP)
"I do a little sign on the court every time I make a shot or a good pass and i pound my chest and point to the sky – it symbolizes that I havea heart for God. It’s something that my mom and I came up with in college and I do it every timeI step on the floor as a reminder of who I’m playing for." (Steph Curry - 2x MVP)