Fundraising for Church Plants
Starting a new church will not happen on faith alone. It will require finances. In Joel 2 God provided the resources in advance (v. 19 “I am sending you grain, new wine and oil, enough to satisfy you fully …”). These resources were provided to handle the growth that was about to take place. Several verses later we read, “And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (v. 32).
Money should never be the motivator, it is simply the motor! Funds help drive the mission and ministry of the local church!
Here are few rules of fundraising:
- Pray. Pray. Pray. Fundraising is not easy for the person pitching or the person listening. You must not eliminate the spiritual side of finances. God has a lot to say about money.
- Be smart. Don’t ask for money just to ask. Have a purpose for the funds. People give to vision, not need.
- Be specific. Don’t bounce around the issue. Tell the individual or group what your need is and how they can help. Most people will respect this!
- No sometimes means “Not Now.” Some individuals/groups may be maxed out for the year. Ask for finances in September and again in January.
- Yes many times means “NO.” You will face rejection, even from friends. I have had many people/pastors promise much but deliver nothing. As sad as it may sound pastors get busy and forget to honor their commitments. I could tell you stories!!!
- Never forget that God is your resource. God promised that “He will supply all of your needs.” I have seen God at work in so many ways. He has provided a sound system … an enclosed trailer … stage lighting … and so much more!
Fundraising is awkward, but when you truly believe in your project it gets easier and easier.