The Point of Discipleship
Discipleship is typically seen as a ministry of the church to develop church ministry. However, the greatest form of discipleship is simply helping people become Christ-centered.
- Ask God to give you a heart for growth – personally and in the lives of those you lead.
- Recruit a team of people that also have a heart for spiritual growth.
- Start with the first time someone comes into your church – what is your mission? How do you move them over the line of faith? How do you inspire them to come back? What is your follow-up system?
- Develop simple steps. The Point has developed an 8-step process in our spiritual growth strategy (Step 1 – Attend ……. Step 8 – Serving).
- Be patient. Working with a team takes longer to establish your process, but those on that team will catch the vision.
- Critique it often. Make adjustments as needed. Everything is an experiment.
- Try something, anything, but never do nothing! I really believe that people really want to grow spiritually. They are looking for answers and direction. We must know our direction!
- Don’t import your process – develop it. Transplant discipleship rarely works. It is usually modified. Don’t take the easy or cheap way out in this process. Seek God. Pray. Fast. Work hard.