Leadership Lessons from Brian Houston
Wow. I had the amazing privilege to sit around a table with 18 others pastors from across the US for an intimate gathering with Brian Houston – Pastor of Hillsong. I could not believe that I was included in this moment in history – considering the people who were invited and attended. I was honored and humbled. Still am. We are such a young, small church with long-term visions and big dreams. This was inspirational.
Here some leadership lessons from our day together.
- Everything must point to Jesus.
- Churches must contribute to spiritual growth – through teaching.
- Give an opportunity for salvation at every service.
- You get what you allow.
- Read the service – understand the life of the service and feel out what people need in that moment.
- Inject yourself – let your personality been seen, but not the focus.
- Pass the back row test – its easy to gauge a service by the front row, but look to the back. Are the engaged? bring them in.
- Never underestimate your people. They are not stupid.
- Live within your authority. “The only place you start at the top is when you are digging a hole.” Leaders may not have the authority to say something – even if it is right.
- Think long-term, not short-term. You may get what you want NOW, but will it be what you want in 5, 10, 15 or 20 years.
- Don’t manipulate – ever.
- Nothing is forever. Don’t become too dependent on anything or anyone.
Brian gave us the key to REAL LEADERSHIP – “Ask more questions than you are telling.”
Wow. 6 hours of learning from one of the great leaders in the Church today. So glad I was asked to be a part of it. So glad I made it.