Even though our fears our learned – we have to understand that the ability to fear is part of human nature. God wired to have fears – the protective ones.
But so often we get stuck in the restrictive fears –
- If I go on this plane, it might crash.
- If I start this business, it will fail.
- If I ask her out on a date, she may say no.
The challenge with restrictive fears is that it typically leads to anxiety – which paralyzes us. So we learn these fears along life’s journey.
- We fall off our bike … we will fall off again.
- We get divorced … no one will ever love me.
- We get sick … and worrying about sickness makes us sicker.
- We burn our hand on a hot stove … we now become afraid of touching that stove again.
Even though fear is a learned behavior … there is so much that we learn through our fears! If fear is a learned behavior … then that means it can be ……….. unlearned!
I had a friend who suffered from disambiguation for almost half her life … it’s the fear of flying … it kept her from going on missions trips, long distance vacations, etc. Recently she took her first plane trip. If someone can be learned … it can also be unlearned.
W. Clement Stone: “Thinking will not overcome fear but action will.”
What steps do you need to take today to unlearn your fears or to get unstuck from them?
Psalm 28:1: “The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.” Don’t be afraid!!!