“The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.”
Three words that will revolutionize your life – “been with Jesus.” How amazing is it to know that people can recognize whether or not you had been with Jesus? That is why it is critical to spend time with Him. Because people can see whether or not you are actually being WITH Jesus. All too often we treat prayer like we bring our requests to God (which is a part of it), but prayer is truly about bringing your life to Him.
What does bring with Jesus look like? That’s the key question. But it doesn’t have an exact answer. Every person sense their closeness to God in a variety of ways and communicate that way too. Someone once said, “If you and I are identical then one of us in unnecessary.” Your prayer time should not be a duplicate of someone else. So be YOU.
Let me give you a few general ways to be with Jesus:
- Just talk to him. You may do that while you are driving (not with eyes closed) or at lunch or on your knees or taking a walk. You don’t have to replicate someone else. Just take some time out of your day to talk with him.
- Read His love letters. Take some time to read the Bible. You don’t have to read chapters and chunks (you can), but read to learn. So when you learn something live it. Process his letters to you and act them out.
- Spend time with His family. Get to church. You learn more about people when you are around their family. You can learn more about God by being with His kids – thats you and I. Malachi & Abigayl always spill the beans on me … let’s spill the beans on God to everyone we meet.
There are a million ways to be WITH Jesus. Let’s not lock Jesus into the box of “this is the only way to be with Him.” Find your sweet spot. Be consistent. Stay focused and people will recognize you have “been with Jesus.”
- What place/activity makes you feel close to God?
- Are you closer to God today than you were 3 months ago? Why or why not?
- What do you want your relationship with God to look like?