“Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned; that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak.”
~ Colossians 4:2-4 ~
I love the opening four words – “devote yourselves to prayer” – not to church or music or education or anything else. Paul encouraged the Colossian church to be fully devoted to prayer. Listen to this quote by Ralph W Emerson: “Coffee is good for talent, but genius wants prayer.” How true is that? The real genius of any pastor is prayer! I want prayer! Paul asked this church to PRAY for him. Paul knew that prayer would propel him to reach his potential!
So let me give you a few ways that you can pray for your pastors:
- Pray for wisdom in all areas.
- Pray for God’s anointing on their lives.
- Pray for their family.
- Pray that God will bless their time sacrifice.
- Pray that God would protect their marriage (if married).
- Pray that their children would grow to love God.
- Pray for strength.
- Pray that God would send encouraging people around them.
I want to be the pastor who knows people are praying for him. But more than that HEARING from people in the Church can be the most encouraging. Whether you attend The Point Church or another church send your pastor a NOTE … let him know that what he is doing matters! Many times that don’t hear it! Most times they don’t hear it enough!
Today, choose to bring your pastors to God in prayer! We need it as much as anyone else!
- How often do you pray for your church?
- Do you find yourself praying for your pastor?
- When was the last time you sent them a note of THANKS?