Lessons from @EdYoung #NYCLS2018
Over the years I have been privileged to meet some of the greatest pastors/leaders in the nation. Sometimes I get the opportunity to host them. Recently we hosted Pastor Ed Young at our church for the Creative Leadership Seminar. It was incredible. 66 churches and/or organizations gathered to grow to a ‘whole nutha level.’
Here’s my learnings:
- Context. Context. Context.
- Social media is only a highlight reel.
- If you ask the right people the right questions you will get the right answers.
- God gave you eyes plagiarize.
- Questions to ask (1) What should I create?, (2) What should I cancel?, & (3) What does this confirm?
- The pastor is the dude with the food.
- Suggestion: 1 hour of study for every minute on the stage.
- Always pastor your church like it is double or triple its size.
- Treat volunteers like staff.
- Think through what you say.
- Change your constitution. It should be staff led with accountability.
- Every person wants to reach people until your church starts to reach people.
- Get to know people who don’t know Jesus.
- You cannot talk about your vision enough.
- To get to it you will have to go through it.
- If you are not serving then you are swerving.
- Churches should be grown from the outside in – not inside out.
- Preach simple – not shallow.
- The enemy uses the whiners in the church.
- Critique your message while you are coming up with it.
- GUARD length, style and insider language.
- If you have someone on your team that needs a coaches clap get them off your team.
- Best creative ideas come from (1) Laughter and (2) Conflict.
- Two questions to ask: (1) What if? and (2) What is?
- Cramativity – make it happen. Whatever it takes.
There is so much more I could share. An amazing day with an amazing leader who I now call my friend. Surround yourself with A+ people and you will rise higher.